Wednesday, May 07, 2008

What Do You Get?







What do you get the woman that has had everything?


I've looked at cards. I've searched the web. I've opted for anything worthy of my seventy-four year old Mother and I for the life of me am stuck!


I got her rose bushes last year, but she had nowhere to plant them. In years past I have purchased for her things she might enjoy, but she never mentioned them after.


What do I do? What do I do?


I adore my Mom. If I could give her the world, I would. I would lasso the moon. I would capture the sun's light. I would turn back time!


Mother's Day is such a cruel trick on children who have lived long enough to be their mother's age.

3 comments:

soubriquet said...

Two years ago I bought my mother an orchid plant. She always says she has too many ornaments and books. So it's hard to know what to get her. But I knew she liked orchids.
It was a lot to pay, I thought, for something that would turn into another bunch of boring leaves within a short time. But the flowers were beautiful, and there were a lot of buds.
She loved it. The flowers stayed for six months, to her birthday, every time I visited, or phoned, she'd tell me how it had so many flowers, how it caught the morning sunlight...
The six-months coincided with her birthday, so I bought her another, with smaller pink flowers. Then the first came back into blossom. And has remained that way for well over a year. She says its the best present she's ever had.
The amount I spent was trivial, really, the pleasure is lasting.
But what she wants most,like any of us, is company.
Spend time with her, ask her about the past, ask her about when you were little, ask her about her teen years, ask her about stories her parents told her, let her talk, be interested, listen to her. Because, by doing so, you will give her the sun's light, you will bring back the summers of her youth.

Anonymous said...

yep agree! visit
this is anna
damn blogger!

Dominic said...

Hugs and kisses are the best gift... if you are far away, a sweet "I love you" works! : )