Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crisis







I was one of the lucky ones. I knew my grandparents into my teens and had lots of time to talk to them.

The economic picture in America is really rough right now. I’m not sure we will be able to continue as we are. Will we be able to follow the American dream and pay off our house and retire? Will we be able to live long enough to see our grandchildren born? Who knows.

But I am one of the lucky ones. I got to speak to my grandparents about living without. Something the kids of this day only hear about second hand. I have the straight scoop.

1. If it’s broken get it fixed. If you don’t mind doing it yourself, borrow a book from the library and just simply fix it. Don’t even think about buying a new one. Fix it and be grateful.

2. Store enough food to last you at least six months. If you don’t have a freezer, learn to can. Visit your local super store and stock up on canned meat, vegetables and fruits. Get emergency supplies like bottled water, bread, staples like flour – sugar – etc.

3. Don’t let your gas tank go below 1/8th of a tank. Even for short runs, make sure that gas tank is topped off.

4. If the sun is shining and it’s chilly, close the windows and open the drapes. Use the sun to heat your home. If it’s cold, make sure you have an alternative heat supply. Cut down trees if you have a fireplace. Get blankets. Wear more clothes.

5. Stock up on your vices. If you smoke, buy cartons. If you drink, buy gallons. Store things in a cool dark place. Learn to make your own.

6. If you are on prescription drugs make sure you have enough to get you through a crisis. Fill prescriptions on a regular basis. Keep a certain place in your home for a first aid kit. Stock it with pain killers, aspirin, antibiotics and Band-Aids.

7. Don’t waste anything. If you fix a meal and have leftovers, freeze them for a hasty lunch.

8. Make sure you have backup batteries for everything you own - Radios, flashlights, alarm clocks. You will need emergency candles and fire starters for the fireplace if you have one. I make my own firestarters from cardboard egg cartons, lint from the dryer and old candles. Handy. A wind up emergency radio will keep you posted in A.M. to anything unusual.

9. Make sure you have at least 20 gallons of water per person for drinking and cooking. Buy containers that are food grade and keep them in a cool dry place. Make sure the back of your toilet is always full.

10. Keep reading material always at hand. Board games as well will help to keep the mind active during long black outs.

11. Don’t forget your pets. Stock up on Dog, Cat or whatever food you might need in an emergency. They have to eat too.

Thank God I had Grandparents who talked to me. Thank God for the parents that taught me.

I’m going to settle in now and listen to “W” talk about how the foxes are in the hen house.

Please let us all pray for a better tomorrow.

1 comment:

Dominic said...

What's "W" smiling about?